Wednesday, March 4, 2009

11 weeks ultrasound

The doctor wanted me to do an ultrasound at the end of my first trimester. I guess, I couldn't wait. I did one today.

The new ultrasound laboratory we had been referred to by my new doctor was wonderful. It was awful to wait with a full bladder, but what an ultrasound!

The doctor was completely "into" the process. Looking at everything in detail, examining, measuring, sharing what he saw with me...... For the first time it felt that I was able to see my baby clearly and through the efforts of someone who cared to ensure that everything was as it should be.

An email sent to a friend that evening:
Had another ultrasound. The technician was a star. What could have been another visit of trying to make sense of a grainy blob became magical when he initiated conversation with me and pointed out how it was moving (I'd thought it was because the machine was moving), its size, how things were normal, heartbeat again.... we watched the baby for a bit as he tried to get the best pics for the report, but in that search, we saw three distinct movements a wriggle kind of thing, a kick kind of thing, and a very definite bumping movement with its bottom. Wow!!!

First time I saw the guy, and I was so caught up with the magic, I didn't even notice that it was a rather intimate contact for an excited conversation between strangers :D I hope I get that technician each time I need an ultrasound.

0 comments:

Post a Comment