Monday, July 20, 2009

Glowing at my baby shower


I don't know if a 'dohaljevan' translates into a baby shower. The concepts are different, though the timings in the pregnancy are same. Anyway.....

What this Dohaljevan (DJ from now on) is, is a way of pampering pregnant women. Relatives invite her over for meals, give gifts, cook her favourite things, and so on, and she ends up having her belly even heavier.

Notorious for my reclusive, anti-religious preferences, the parents had already planned a joint DJ for me, where some close relatives would also attend, thus ridding off many birds with one stone, while keeping the traditions alive.

Needless to say, when it comes to expecting grandparents, things take on a life of their own. Somehow, my mother-in-law got into the conspiracy, and then we ended up hiring a small hall for an informal, family only thing that had bloated to over 30 people.

I surprised myself by having a great time! The absolutely last thing I'd have expected at a traditional thing, pregnant and wearing a sari. I guess there must be some method to the madness - all the affection and food, and meeting so many people and all that really pepped me up. Talk of hormones - I say again, an alien has hijacked my body, and the real me is somewhere else.

0 comments:

Post a Comment