Monday, February 16, 2009

Another doctor

Went to a local physician who has some pregnant women in her practice. Talkative, eccentric woman with an extreme agenda against religious practices that are harmful to health, which endeared her to me immediately.

I showed her the two ultrasound scans and the list of the different tests the other doctor (that we didn't like) had asked us to do. She wasn't particularly impressed with the ultrasounds, as they didn't contain anything to be particularly impressed about. She spoke about a lot of my concerns, and answered everything in detail.

This was very good, and finally I started feeling that someone was on our side. She rubbished the changed prescription for folic acid, saying that it was expensive and unnecessary and not better than what I was taking earlier in any way, saying that doctors often prescribed more expensive medicines to promote them. She said that I could finish the tablets I'd purchased and then go back to my original stuff, which was fine.

She said that it was good that I'd started the folic acid the minute I suspected pregnancy - even before the test. She said that the progesterone was a good idea, though we hadn't really tested my progesterone levels, and added a weekly injection to the mix.

She revised the list of tests and removed a couple and added one another one.

She recommended two labs - one for the ultrasound and the other for the bloodwork, which she liked for their work. I had never considered that some labs may be better than others until then, and had thought that my frustration with the uninspired ultrasound guy was something I'd have to live with.

Cautiously happy about the care I was receiving for the pregnancy, I returned home feeling much better.

I must say that this is a regular physician, and many people told me about how a gynaecologist is the best doctor for a pregnancy. She didn't seem as flashy or "in the lingo" as the other doctor. However, if I look at the population of the earth, I'm getting the feeling that good management of pregnancy is less about rocket science and more about careful attention. I'm willing to risk being attended to by a less than specialist who gives full attention, than a specialist who does a vaginal examination without any conversation and talking on a phone all through.

0 comments:

Post a Comment